Where Do We Go From Here?

Monday, May 16, 2011

Evolution

This morning I found myself confused, questioning my integrity and how I want to be perceived on the internet.  It is very important to me to be in alignment with my mind, body, spirit and soul.  I find when I sign up to post my resume, my business or any social/community group I participate with, its difficult for me to decide what I want to be seen, by whom, where.  So instead of creating different personas online, I try to keep consistent with representing me.  Its all about maintaining balance in my life.

But today I watched some TED with Eli Pariser and he talked about the internet creating "filter bubbles."  My husband and I talk a lot about finding perspective, exposure to news we find irrelevant as well as relevant and simply learning something new.  Its what we feel the internet should be used for; connecting, growing and maturing.  However, internet biggies such as Google and Facebook are tailoring our searches, our lives based so much on what they see us seeking online.  So much so that it has begun to impede our personal growth and defeats our efforts to find purpose... at least in my opinion, a healthy purpose that contributes to the world community.  

It is a good talk and one to give thought to if you find yourself sometimes faced with thinking outside the box, keeping up with all the social media out there, and creating an identity that is well rounded online and off.  The question:

How will the internet evolve from here?  

No comments:

Post a Comment